Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cattle Round-Up

Friday morning I was up before dawn to head out and do some "day work" rounding up cattle down toward Benson for a friend of my friend Jean. I loaded up Sassy around 4:45 and headed over to pick up Jean and her horse, Jeremiah. We met up with the 6 other cowboys, saddled up our horses and headed out to go find some cattle. Here I am with Sassy before we started out...
(you can click on the pics to make them larger)





The object was to round up the cattle (mostly heifers and about a half dozen calves, and a few bulls) and drive them over to another pasture. Some of the calves couldn't have been more than a week old! One little red guy in particular was so small, maybe 50 lbs. I wanted to bring him home....

We pushed the cattle through some pretty rugged terrain, down some canyons and through a railroad tunnel to another pasture and our job was done. We then made our way back to where we had parked the trucks/trailers.
When we first started out there were a lot of clouds and it was somewhat cool. By the time we were heading back, the clouds had burned off and the sun was out in full Arizona force. It felt like we had been out riding most of the day. Turns out, when we got back to the truck, it was only 10:30 a.m. !
Here are Sassy and Jeremiah sharing a moment at the end of the day. :)
We had a great morning riding the range....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow -- stunnng pictures. I wish my "day work" was more rounding up horses and less sitting behind a desk.

Mikey said...

I always love roundup :) Those are the best times. However, I like to have a trailer waiting when we finish. And food, lots of food...